Signs to look for to prevent breakdowns of your heating unit before the winter.
After the first cold snap of winter, it is estimated that 40% of heating units break down each year due to a lack of maintenance. As the winter weather nears, it’s important to take note of how heating and air ventilation units are performing before you or even worse, your employees are left out in the cold.
“Keeping your eyes and ears open for warning signs can prevent that scenario where the system quits in the middle of night or for businesses, during work hours on the coldest day of the year,” said Harvey Stoller, president of Airdex Inc., a leading HVAC serving company in New Jersey and New York. “Simple maintenance during the year will prevent this problem and keep your home or business warm during the cold winter weather.”
Mr. Stoller offers the following signs to look for that may mean trouble is brewing within your HVAC unit:
- Change of Flame Color- A yellow to orange colored, unstable flame is a sure sign of boiler malfunction. The flame should always be blue and stable.
- Increased Heating Bills- Heating bills do fluctuate, but if your bills are increasing faster than normal your furnace may be losing efficiency and you might need a replacement.
- Odd Noises From the System-Listen for unusual noises from the furnace or other parts of the heating system. That is an indication of a problem.
- Smell of Gas- Any smell of gas is cause for immediate attention by a certified repairman. Turn off the furnace if you do smell gas.
- Dirty Filters- Dirty air filters cause a furnace to struggle to get adequate airflow. The filters must be checked regularly. These systems are important for circulating air, in a home or business. They must be kept clean to make sure the circulated air is pure.
- Heat Pumps- These pumps should be checked regularly to clean out any dirt or debris. Buildup of debris or dirt could lead to a malfunction.
“It’s important to keep an eye on these systems and schedule regular inspections,” said Mr. Stoller. “There are many parts to the heating unit and when one part fails, it could lead to more issues in the future. If your heating unit is not working up to its full potential, call a professional right away so it is taken care of before the cold weather hits.”
Airdex Inc. is a leading HVAC service provider with more than 60 years of experience. Airdex services air-conditioning, chillers, computer room units, boilers, heaters and refrigeration systems in Manhattan, the Five Boroughs of New York City, and the New Jersey area. To learn more about Airdex, visithttp://www.airdexinc.com/